Policy identification number: To come...
File: Academic Policies > Academic Standards
This policy creates the opportunity for undergraduate students who stopped out with a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.00 or who were suspended or academically disqualified to complete a baccalaureate degree.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
June 6, 2018
June 6, 2018
pvpaa, a, r, academic, renewal, undergraduate
Scheduled for Review
1. An undergraduate student who (a) stopped out with a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.00, or was suspended, or was academically disqualified, and (b) has not attended Fort Lewis College for at least six consecutive terms (e.g., Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall) may apply for academic renewal.
2. Students must be readmitted following procedures established by the Director of Admission to be eligible to submit a petition for academic renewal.
3. Students will be granted academic renewal only once.
4. Petitions are due to the Registrar's Office by Census Day of the student's first term back at Fort Lewis College.
5. If a student is approved for academic renewal:
A. The student's academic transcript will denote "ACADEMIC RENEWAL APPROVED" with the date.
B. All coursework completed prior to renewal will remain visible on the student's academic transcript.
C. Grades in all courses completed prior to renewal will not be used in the calculation of the grade point average.
D. Credits from previously completed courses with an earned grade of C- or higher are eligible to count toward degree completion if they are allowable under the Time Limits on Coursework Policy.
6. Students granted academic renewal are assigned Good Standing for the initial semester. Standings assignments for the second and subsequent semesters of attendance will be determined following Undergraduate Academic Standings policy.
7. Students granted academic renewal will be required to complete at least 30 credit hours after readmission before they are eligible for a baccalaureate degree, even if all other degree requirements have been met.
8. Academic renewal applies only to Fort Lewis College. Other colleges may or may not accept the action of academic renewal.
Reason for Policy
This policy gives a student who stopped out with cumulative grade point of less than 2.00 or who were suspended or academically disqualified an opportunity to complete a baccalaureate degree.
For following policy: Undergraduate students
For enforcement of policy: Registrar
For oversight of policy: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
For notification: Policy Librarian
For procedures implementing the policy: Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management
There is no institutional record of when academic renewal policy was initially approved. In the policy in effect until the 2012-2013 academic year, both transfer and returning students could petition for academic renewal if they had not attended any college for at least five years (60 consecutive months), the application did not necessarily have to be at the point of admission, and no coursework could be carried forward. The Faculty Senate endorsed a revision of this policy on April 24, 2013 to comply with CRS 23-1-125 Student Bill of Rights that requires all gtPathways courses to count toward a student's degree completion for a minimum of 10 years that reduced the sit-out time to three years (36 consecutive months), restricted the opportunity to only returning students, and only at the point of readmission. The Faculty Senate endorsed a modification of this policy on February 17, 2016 to allow students to file a petition for academic renewal any time between the date of admission and the Census Date of the admission term.
2018 - technical changes to item 1 and added item 4.