Installation and Funding of Computer Software in Academic Computing Labs
To establish standards and deadlines related to software in academic computing labs.
Vice President, Finance & Administration
April 24, 2018
April 24, 2018
vpfa, a, 6-19
Scheduled for Review
I. Policy Statement
1. A standard set of software for general use will be established and maintained by Information Technology. Software will be added to this list in consultation with the Information Technology Committee (ITC). This software is funded centrally.
2. A limited amount of freeware will be allowed with a one-year expiration date. The requestor will have the ability to extend the expiration for one year.
3. Some software is discipline specific, i.e. used in the curriculum of a specific department or multiple departments. Such software will be assigned a three-year expiration, which is renewable if the software is upgraded. The appropriate dean or deans in combination fund this software.
4. The following software installation request deadlines apply. For fall, installation requests should be in by July 1. For winter, installation request should be in by December 1. For summer, installation request should be in by April 1. Software is requested to be added to the lab image by filling out an installation request form.
5. All software must be compatible with the current operating system in the computer labs.
II. Reason for Policy
Fort Lewis College provides a standard set of software for general use by Faculty, Staff and Students. Many other discipline specific software packages are installed in academic computing labs and made available to the all Faculty, Staff and Students. Managing the number of packages installed is critical to the smooth operation of the labs. No software packages will be installed on the network without long term funding or an expiration date. In order to provide a consistent working environment, three windows of opportunity for software installations will be established. All software has to be compatible with the current operating system. It is necessary to provide guidelines for software purchases and installation in order to efficiently and fairly utilize resources for all departments.
For following the policy: All employees
For enforcement of the policy: Director, Information Technology
For oversight of the policy: Vice President for Finance & Administration
For notification of policy: Policy Librarian
For procedures implementing the policy: Director, Information Technology