- Created by Justin Lytle - Admin, last modified on Aug 07, 2020
This policy is currently under development.
POLICY TITLE: ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT SERVICES
Effective Date: Immediately upon approval
Policy Summary: This policy establishes how the College will meet its accreditors’ standards for timely and accurate transcript and records services.
1. Academic transcripts are the means through which Fort Lewis College students present to third parties evidence of their completed coursework, level of academic achievement, and academic credentials.
2. Official transcripts are available to students who attended from xxx to the present. Unofficial transcripts are available through the College’s Banner self-service system known as WebOpus to students who attended from September 3, 1991 to the present.
3. Unauthorized disclosure of a student’s transcript is prohibited under the Federal Educational Records Privacy Act of 1974 (F.E.R.P.A). The Registrar’s procedures for access to unofficial transcripts via WebOpus and requests for official transcripts must ensure College compliance with F.E.R.P.A. regulations.
4. The Registrar will establish procedures in collaboration with the Information Technology Department to ensure the accuracy of content authorized to appear on a student transcript by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
A. The Registrar will audit, minimally each year, the accuracy of student transcripts and maintain records of those audits for review by the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
5. Processing fees on a per-transcript basis are allowable for official transcripts. The amount of the fee will be established through the College’s fee for service procedures. If a fee has been established, official transcripts will not be processed for students until the fee has been paid.
6. Official transcripts will not be processed for students who are out of compliance with an approved policy for which the consequences of non-compliance are, or include, a transcript hold.
7. Official transcripts will be processed within seven (7) business days.
A. The Registrar will offer and publicize via its website expedited processing options, including same-day processing. Additional fees are allowable for expedited processing if approved through the College’s fee for service procedures.
B. The Registrar will audit, minimally each year, the timeliness of transcript processing and maintain records of those audits for review by the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
8. Official transcripts will be sent via U.S. Mail.
A. The Registrar will offer and publicize via its website expedited distribution options, including overnight distribution, and when feasible, electronic distribution.
Reason for Policy
The Higher Learning Commission’s Assumed Practice B.3.b. requires the College to maintain timely and accurate transcript and records services.
For following policy: Registrar
For enforcement of policy: Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management
For oversight of policy: Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
For notification of policy: Policy Librarian
Official Transcript – A students’ record prepared in such a way that authentic documents can be differentiated from those fraudulently produced.
Students – Individuals currently in attendance, previously in attendance, and alumni.